Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Thoughts on online safety...

It's funny that this is the first "real" topic we are musing about in our blogs.

Just last week, I scared my pilates instructor when I explained to her how easy it can be to find information about people online. I shared with her my strategy of changing my log-in name and associated e-mail addresses when I join groups or "sign up" for anything online. It can be a pain to keep track of the different user names and passwords but it helps keep details about my ENTIRE life from being a google search away. She had never thought about it and shared with me that she had used the same e-mail address for everything for years.

I told her to be sure to search her name in google's phonebook and to ask them to remove her phone # and address if it is listed. When one works with the public (as both she and I do) it is so easy to acquire "admirers" who see something more meaningful in a courteous and friendly business transaction than was intended.

On two occasions I have been found at my branch by old aquaintances who searched for my name online and found it because the organizers of several training conferences posted the names and workplaces of attendees to the internet. I was happy to hear from one of these people... the other not so much. Since I work with the public this is unavoidable but I can and do take steps to protect my private life.

No comments: