Monday, November 2, 2009

IHCPL 2009 Books, Readers and Beyond: #52 What to Read

Exercise 1:

I didn't have any luck finding read-alikes in Novelist for my first title choice (gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson). Novelist had the author in its database but there were no author read-alikes listed. I tried the search in What Should I Read Next and got a list of 10 titles, one of which I had already read and enjoyed.

I tried a second title in Novelist (Stardust by Neil Gaiman) and had better luck. Novelist recommended Stephen King, Kurt Vonnegut, Alan Moore, Robin McKinley and Terry Pratchett as read-alikes for Neil Gaiman. Charles de Lint, Alan Moore and Joss Whedon were some of the authors recommended by What Should I Read Next. The only author that both sites recommended was Terry Pratchett.


Exercise 2:

I used librarybooklist.org which led me to an animal books listing on the El Paso Public Library page. For a 4th grade girl who likes animal books I would suggest The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford and Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo.

I used Novelist for the second part of this exercise. For a thirteen year old boy who is is interested in ghosts I would suggest Ghosts and Real Life Ghost Hunters by Michael Teitelbaum and Ghosts by Michael Martin.


Exercise 3:

I used Novelist and What Should I Read Next?. Three authors who write similarly to Dean Koontz are Dan Simmons, John Saul, & Stephen White.

Exercise 4:

I used the resource from Mid-Continent Public Library. Alanna: the First Adventure is the first book of the series entitled Song of the Lioness. The other books in the series, in order, are In the Hand of the Goddess, The Woman Who Rides Like a Man, and Lioness Rampant.

No comments: